International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Monday, October 15, 2007
Gibsons/Hugos - Chicago
If you have money and want yourself a fine steak, you need to make an appearance at Gibsons or Hugos in Chicago. Just make sure you make a reservation because its a tough table in this town. Gibsons is known for its steak, Hugos for its seafood. The beauty is that the two share the same kitchen, so you can get steak at Hugos and Seafood at Gibsons.

After a lesson in Alaskan salmon, king crab, halibut, and two-pound lobster tails, I was able to fight my cravings and focus on the steak menu. Steak menus in the US are much different than their counterparts in Canada. My favourite steakhouse in Calgary, Nick's Steakhouse, focuses on ribeyes, sirloins, and New York steaks. Hugos/Gibsons represents the filet mignon, porterhouse, t-bone, and London broil.

To my astonishment, the Big Porterhouse was worth more than my life and weighed a ridiculous 48oz. In comparison, the regular porterhouse was 22oz. Everything truly is bigger in the US when it comes to food. I settled on the regular porterhouse because, let's be honest, a 48-ounce steak is something you need to train for.

Added to meaty feast was frog legs. It was my first time trying the famous appendages that supposedly "taste like chicken." I can definitely understand where that came from, but I'd give frog legs the advantage due to the lower fat content.

Moving on to the steak, it was like chewing butter. The flavour was intoxicating; no barbacue sauce required. Mmmm.... I'm not sure what else to say. Maybe I could've done with the 48-ouncer.
posted by kent at 8:42 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger ryan101 said...

When i was in Amarillo, Texas we went to a steak house, if you could eat the 72-ouncer in 60 minutes you would get it for free. I definately regret not trying it, but i really couldn't afford to lose the battle...

7:40 AM  
Blogger Greeneyes said...

Hi,
Everytime I come here I get really hungry LOL Hope your well and I know your eating well !TEE HEE
It is all so interesting , ,love it .!
Now I must go and feed the beast that lives in my stomache HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAve a great day
Greeneyes

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home