International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Friday, September 15, 2006
Barefoot and Pregnant and Baking
So it's been raining here in Edmonton for what feels like weeks. I've been gathering animals two by two and somehow I ended up with three buffalo? When weather like this strikes and the leaves all flee to the ground I have a need to bake. A real barefoot and pregnant biblical need to slave over a hot stove and wander the kitchen for hours while my bread rises. I decided to start with a banana loaf since there were a few nice black ones sitting on the counter that both my room mate and I had been wondering what we were going to do with. You don't throw away an over-ripe banana when I'm around. Lacking loaf pans is an issue but I whipped up my standard banana loaf. Because of pan issues I ended up having to over cook it but thank god for bananas, it's pretty much impossible to dry the thing out. I love this loaf, it's an easy, moist and delicious comfort food with those fall hints of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Last night it was onto some bread. I've been working at perfecting my bread. Actually I'm new to the bread making adventure and finding it takes practice. I decided to go with a whole wheat oatmeal loaf. Rustic and heavy, perfect for days that are edging on snowing. I worked the dough pouring in my work search frustrations and watched as it rose perfectly. I attempted to keep the loaf softer by using ice cubes in the oven to create some steam for the first 20 min. of baking. This didn't work well. My bread is great but is protected by a bullet proof crust that if thrown would probably break a window. Still got some work to do I guess but with some butter and honey it warms the soul and I almost don't mind that fall has beaten summer to a pulp leaving only winter left to look forward to.
posted by nicholas at 1:26 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Johanna said...

Good job, Nick! The crust seems to be thin, which is a sign for good quality (if you'd ask a professional German baker). :) Did you put a bowl of water on the bottom of your oven? That's what my grandma told me on how to get a soft crust.

2:55 PM  
Blogger nicholas said...

I put some ice cubes in the oven for the first half of the baking. Maybe I should leave the water in for the whole time next ry.

8:18 AM  
Blogger kent said...

Nicely done.

Johanna is right, put a little bowl of water in at the beginning and you'll end up with a gorgeous crusty crust.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Lightfooted said...

I feel ashamed: I just threw out two perfectly good black organic bananas and though of you, my barefoot pregnant friend, who would actually salvage the bananas and turn them into something yummy.

I can't wait to taste your bread when I return. Mmmm...!

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home