International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Saturday, September 09, 2006
Peach Cobbler with Ginger and Cardamom Infused Cream

First off I have to say this tasted way better than it looks I just didn't get a picture until it was almost all eaten which I think proves my point.

My peach cobbler was actually supposed to be peach pie. I headed to the farmers market last weekend to catch the tail end of peach season here in Western Canada and picked up a nice bunch of them that still needed a couple of days to ripen. I set them out on the counter and when I check back they had gone crazy and way over ripened. After I cut off the mush I was left with only enough peaches for a cobbler. Personally I find cobblers and crisps a little boring so I was pondering how I could take it up a notch when my mind wandered, as it often does, towards Indian chai. Peaches and ginger are a classic combination as is peaches and cream. Suddenly a light went on and I set to work infusing cream with green cardamom and ginger much as you would when making chai. After a very slow half hour simmer on the stove my thick creamy mixture was ready to be strained onto my peach cobbler. It all went into the oven for a half hour to procreate leaving a creamy mixture with subtle layers of flavor piling up until you can only call it heaven. I mixed the extra peach juice that was left from their soak in sugar and vanilla before baking with a little of my infused cream and reduced it into a thick syrup to top the dish.

The crunch of brown sugar and oatmeal on top of the cobbler was perfect with the warm creamy peaches and the flavor of cardamom and a slight twist of ginger lingered on the palette long after the bowl was empty. Definitely a good way to punch up a cobbler. If you want better recipe style instructions post a comment asking for it and I'll put them up.

Happy Cooking and Eating.
posted by nicholas at 9:37 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger kent said...

You are a culinary god.

I can already taste the creamy cardmom/ginger mixture. Can you say, "a series of YouTube cooking shows"?

9:13 PM  
Blogger nicholas said...

Yeah man, I think next time I cook the camera will be on and it's goin on YouTube and here.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh! I'll take a recipe! Sounds SO good.

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home