International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Thursday, October 12, 2006
Dim Sum, How I Missed You
Dim Sum is one of my favorite things to do with friends. Something about sharing everything and chatting over tea makes it a special experience. Sadly I haven't gone for a very long time. I have very fond memories of living in Hong Kong and going for Dim Sum at least every couple of weeks. Sunday morning at City Hall looking out over the harbor is a little pricey but worth it if you get the chance.

I was lamenting my lack of Dim Sum to a friend last weekend and he decided to take me down to China Town for lunch yesterday. We got on the bus and a few stops latter got off in what is one of the most run down parts of Edmonton. Past the Garden Bakery, an old favorite of mine because it's open till 3AM, we turned into a large unassuming restaurant hall that I'd never been to before. Being lunch on a weekday there was almost no one there and the ladies with carts of bamboo steamers were no where to be seen. Luckily a picture menu and Dim Sum order card appeared with our jasmine green tea and we set to work.

I picked off a few of my favs and tried to remember the Cantonese names. Had to look a few up for this post though; Har Gau (Imperial Shrimp Dumplings), Sui Mai (Pork and Shrimp Dumplings), Lo Mai Gai (Lotus wrapped rice with chicken and pork), char sui bow (steamed pork bun), shrimp with steamed rice noodles (don't know what it's called), and of course I had to finish with an egg tart. Usually I like to order more but with only two of us to tackle the food it seemed prudent to stop there.

The food came a little too fast for my liking which meant it was sitting in the kitchen waiting for us to order it. This left the rice paper dumplings a little tough. In the end though I was just thrilled to have some dim sum. We couldn't finish it all as often happens and I ended up going home with my egg tarts in a bag to be enjoyed later. Full and happy we got back on the bus with the cold wind blowing at our backs and headed home.

Not the same as Hong Kong but still good stuff and good memories of food and friends from the past.
posted by nicholas at 1:02 PM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are you stealing bandwith without credit? Remove the picture link immediately.

12:19 AM  
Blogger nicholas said...

Wow, sorry Konstantin. Didn't know it would be a problem for you. I've taken down the photo.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think you must be referring to cheong fun. My favourite type of cheong fun is the one where the steamed rectangular wide noodle is wrapped around a yao jza guai (that deep fried fluffy dough stick). You can usually get a restaurant to make you this because they usually don't have it on the menu. I always ask for it special. It's called jai leung, I think.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home