International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Tuesday, November 21, 2006
Ok Kent, so here goes my first contribution to this delicious blog. All of your nagging has paid off J Blanka and I were in Vienna over the weekend.

Vienna’s Christmas Markets

A yearly tradition in the Austrian capital, the various Christmas markets across the city serve up a lot of local delights. It seems a bit early for Christmas stuff but I guess it's just an excuse to start drinking earlier. The markets are famous for their gluwein and punsch….hot wine and hot tea with rum and fruit. We downed a few of these sweet drinks and they definitely kept me all warm inside. The first food we tried was raclette (melted cheese) on toast….a ripoff from the swiss but I didn’t mind. This was topped with fried onions and dried chives. We washed that down with more hot wine and then had some milk chocolate fondue covered strawberries…mmmm. Come to think of it…these two things are both swiss…but whatever. We had other various treats like roasted chestnuts, potato pancakes and Austrian corndogs. I bought some homemade gingerbread which I ate on the bus ride home…which was also great comfort food. I had white chocolate covered strawberries also. By the end of the night I was really thirsty and washed everything down with a cool Ottagringer, a great Viennese brew.



Outside of the market we had some great street meat. It was some kind of meatloaf (maybe Bosnian) with mustard and pickled chili peppers, delish.

I’ve also posted some pics from a lunch we had before we left…ribs and a potato and pork fry-up! Good eating in Vienna.












Upcoming culinary adventures:

-Prague’s Christmas market

-Christmas in Bosnia….oh sweet pita

-15, Jamie Oliver’s restaurant in London

-My Grandma’s English breakfast….oh sweet heart attack



Cheers, Alex

posted by calal at 2:42 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger Blanka said...

I can't quite decide which was my favorite. The potatoe pancakes were especially delicious and oh so salty. Can't wait for the holiday feasts!

8:21 AM  
Blogger kent said...

You're the man, Alex.

And you're making me so hungry.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Why do I read this blog right before lunch?

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gluehwein is fun.
Choc fondue is great.
But raclette is the best!!!

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home