International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Monday, November 27, 2006
Pancetta Linguine and Pio Cesare
A few weeks ago I made Nigella Lawson's sinful pancetta linguine and cracked a half bottle of delicious Pio Cesare Barolo.


The pancetta linguine is super easy: just cut off the fatty rind of the pancetta, cut the rest in smallish pieces and throw it all in a frying pan. Cook it long enough so it browns a bit on the outside and so the rinds turn into a greasy mess. Put the whole thing into a pot with some quality al dente linguine, toss with some fresh flat-leaf parsley, and you have yourself a meal. It's a salty, carb-ridden heaven that you'll devour as if no one is watching.

I washed it all down with a recent vintage of Pio Cesare Barolo. It was a tad on the young side, but the saltiness of the pancetta perfectly offset the sharp tannins. It had the delicious flavour that I love about Barolo: earthy minerals stuck in a leather shoe and smoked. Sounds nice, hmm? Once you've had a fine Barolo you won't stop.
posted by Jeremy at 9:25 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger kent said...

Somebody give this guy a job.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Blanka said...

I second the motion! Barolo is a great wine, the name of the bottle I had escapes me now but it was delish and expensive (good thing I wasn't paying for lunch)

6:51 AM  
Blogger Muriel said...

I have been wanting to make a Barolo, but since it is only available in kits, not as juice, I have been reluctant.

I am glad to hear such positive reviews of it. When the roads become passable here, I am going to buy a nice kit of it.

Now I wonder if I have an empty carboy....

8:31 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Damn. That looks good.

I have such a huge girl-crush on Nigella.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home