International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Thursday, November 30, 2006
Thai Curry ala Purvi
I wish I had a picture. It’s funny, too, because I brought my camera with the intention of documenting Purvi’s glorious Thai creation. Alas, the best I can do is words.

Two and a half months without even the slightest semblance of flavourful food can drive someone mad. So when Purvi tendered an invitation for Thai curry, my mouth began to water. I’m starting to think that my keyboard needs a drool guard….

Half-way up the stairs to her place, the aroma become intoxicating. Inside, I was practically swimming in my own saliva. Then I had to sit there for twenty minutes, tortured by the scent of what promised to be a splendid meal.

Finally the moment arrived. I scooped hot basmati rice onto my plate and ladled some of the curry over it. My first bite was one of ecstasy. The flavour of the spices came first, followed by the familiar sharp kick of the chili peppers. But what was that soft and gooey vegetable I was ingesting? Against all conventions, or so it seems, it turned out to be sweet potato/yam. I thought, “Who puts sweet potato in a thai curry?” Well, Purvi does and it was a brilliant idea.

I ended up eating two plates and leaving extremely satisfied. Next up at Purvi’s place is the Indian Cook-off to End All Indian Cook-offs. Palak Kofta, Aloo Ghobi, Chapati, Masala Chai, Dosa…it’ll all be there.  
posted by kent at 1:02 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger Muriel said...

I bet that the reason you didn't take any pics was cause you drooled on your camera and it wouldn't work properly. Might that be the reason it wasn't working when you went to Korba?

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kent, thanks so much for the above. :) Really glad and flattered that you enjoyed. I love this food appreciation blog here!
Really looking forward to the Indian cook off to end all Cook offs - and particularly excited about learning how to cook indian food from a Canadian! :)

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home