International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Sunday, December 17, 2006
Okonamiyaki and Takoyaki
Japanese meals are always very ornamental and neatly prepared with the freshest ingredients. My first introduction though, will be something that I haven't tried eating before... okonamiyaki - which is kind of like a Japanese Pancake type deal and you get to make it yourself at the restaurant that I went to, and takoyaki - deep fried octopus balls.I'm not sure what is in the mix, but I see squid and an egg.
Here, we have the mixture from the bowl on the left and on the right, we have noodle with vegetables, egg and pork.

I find there are always things that accompany the main course. Here, we have miso soup, rice with raw fish on top and a cabbage salad.

I love dessert, here we have green tea ice cream (better than in Calgary), red beans and some whipped cream.

When talking to people, they always tell me that takoyaki is similar to okonamiyaki but I don't really know what they mean. Maybe something got lost in translation. Takoyaki is balls of octopus deep fried in a thin batter and then covered with thinly sliced dried onion. I burnt my tongue eating this so I didn't really enjoy it, plus it was really squishy.
posted by ~diana~ at 12:15 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger kent said...

You get to make the pancake yourself?!?!?!

That is outstanding.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Blanka said...

mmmm, squishy balls!! Oh god I will regret leaving this, I can see it now...

12:58 AM  
Blogger ryan101 said...

"deep-fried octupus balls"...

I had no idea octopuses have balls.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually there are beef balls, chicken balls, shrimp balls, and rice balls too...

11:38 AM  
Blogger Jasziee said...

wats wit all dis talk about balls u people r grossin me out GEEZ!!!!


personally i prefer chicken balls
p.s i love Atama Tahana

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home