International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Sunday, January 07, 2007
The Only Way to Eat Chocolate Fingers
If Sam can post things here that she puts on her own blog, I think I can too...

Now this is something I had forgotten about since going to India, and only reminded about when I saw some fingers in the Christmas biscuit selection my parents brought me today. As far as I know, this treat is mostly unheard of, so i'm taking it upon myself to spread the technique as much as I can...

If you only follow seven simple steps you will be in heaven and completely addicted.
  1. Purchase some generic chocolate finger biscuits. They must be good quality though, with a solid covering of chocolate.
  2. Bite the bare minimum off one end of the finger.
  3. Bite the bare minimum off the other end of the finger.
  4. Using the abbreviated finger as a straw, suck your cup of tea up through the finger.

    Hint: You may have to suck quite hard. If it's easy to suck, there is probably a hole in the chocolate.
  5. Once you can feel the tea coming through the top of the finger into your mouth, stop sucking.
  6. Quickly turn the finger around and eat.

    There are two key points at this stage:

    One – you must move quickly so that the finger doesn’t soak up too much of the tea.
    Two – you must eat the end that was dipped in the tea first. If you aren’t going to do it right, you may as well not bother at all.
  7. Relax with the tasty moist biscuit and slowly, barely melting chocolate.

I think you’ll agree, once you try this, there’s no going back.

And for the serious addict, why not try the white chocolate, crunchy (a sweeter taste and more free flowing), and caramel varieties (only for those who have become seriously addicted to the regular fingers – it is the next hit up.)

posted by ryan101 at 6:34 AM

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that reminds me of drinking coke (or milk, in the days before I was allowed to drink coke) through a red licorice straw. Bite off both ends and go to it.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will definitely give this technique a try, though I think I will use coffee instead.

I much prefer informal eating over the rules presented in etiquette books. So how did this technique manage to surface in prim and proper England?

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I don't wish to perpetuate stereotypes, but I do beleive I heard of such a technique from my other country - Australia - and adapted it to the obvios choice of chocolate fingers.

2:17 PM  
Blogger kent said...

Haha...ya, the Aussies love doing this with Tim Tams.

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, curious to see what a tim tam was, a quick google search led me to possibly my new favourite website:

www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com

They have a review of tim tams vs penguins which is quite funny, and even mentions "questionable and lurid tea drinking acts"

4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home