International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Saturday, March 17, 2007
Bento Boxes

These two bento boxes (Japanese lunch boxes) belong to a fellow AIESEC member whose mom prepares for him every morning. The first one has a pickled plum in the middle of the rice to make it look like the Japanese flag. It looks like a lot of work is put into this type of lunch since there is so much variety packed into a small box. I am sooo envious...as I stare at my peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Yes, peanut butter and jelly, apparently it's not the thing to do in the UK or the states.

Shopping for a bento box is hard if you are in a department store basement and there are about a million choices for you to choose from. The store opened at 10am and right away, it was flooded with people looking to buy their lunch for the day. You can get cheap ones that come in foam boxes made to look like wood, or you could buy more expensive ones where the box is actually made out of wood and it's wrapped in a nice piece of cloth. The food is also more detailed, you get your vegetables carved into pretty things like flowers and leaves.

My bento box was a simple one that came in a foam box, but I chose one with lots of variety. I really love that wagon wheel looking thing. It's crunchy and absorbs flavour really well. Actually, I loved everything in here!
My friend chose a nicer meal that came in a two tier box. Ooo fancy. I got to keep his pink cloth though.
posted by ~diana~ at 8:28 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger kent said...

That is so cool. Takes the bento boxes I knew in Canada to a whole new level.

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So that is where Bento box comes from - fascinating!

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home