International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Tuesday, March 06, 2007
Too much camembert, oh what to do...

Been awhile since I’ve posted any of my food escapades here but then again I spent the last two weeks roaming from buffet to buffet in what essentially was a giant hotel while on training with my company.

On the weekend I set out to remedy my lack of cooking and headed to the market to stock up on tasty ingredients to inspire the week to come. In the cheese shop I was seduced by a sign that said 2 wheels of French brie for $5 but when I asked for it the chubby cheese man informed me they were out. His recommendation, 2 wheels of camembert that he would also part with for $5. A little further down at the produce store I found some slightly beat up pears on sale. Not being one to pass up a sale I got them and then headed to the bakery for a focaccia.

All these things came together last night when rummaging through my fridge I realized I have way to much cheese. Next thing you know I created a new recipe I will be revisiting.

Open Face Pear and Camembert Sandwich (sorry forgot to take a photo so just imagine and drool)

Core and slice a pear
Cut camembert in slices (I think brie would be nice for this as well)
Chop a handful of almonds and add with the sliced pear to a warm pan with a touch of olive oil and sauté. Add a shake of nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper and sauté until soft. When finished add a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar,
Lightly toast pieces of focaccia and then while still warm place the camembert on top.
Top the bread and cheese with the sautéed pear and almonds and enjoy.

The sandwich turned out to be a warm and silky pleasure with sweet pears, a little tang from the vinegar and luscious half melted camembert. The rosemary on the focaccia worked perfectly with the flavours and brought it all together.

posted by nicholas at 8:26 AM

2 Comments:

Blogger kent said...

You gotta be kidding me....

If I could get any of those ingredients here, I would make that in approximately 7 seconds.

Hmm...how does one go about making camembert?

2:10 AM  
Blogger ~diana~ said...

Oh drool, sounds like something I had at a Jazz Club back in Calgary. I envy you and how you can pick up spices without wondering which Japanese bottle to buy. Cheers!

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home