International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Friday, June 08, 2007
If I Can't Travel I'll Fool Myself with Cooking

So I was feeling a little stir crazy a couple of weeks ago like I needed to flee the country or but instead of doing something drastic I decided I'd bring the flavor of excitement to my kitchen. On a sleepy Saturday night I whipped up Lebanese meatballs topped with garlic yogurt, Greek Salad, brown rice and my girlfriend whipped up some humus. It was an unstoppable meal and as you can see from the picture I was pretty excited about it.

The highlight had to be the meatballs. I went with beef as a meat because I find pork pretty heavy. I mixed in the standard bread crumbs, an egg, salt, pepper, some cumin, diced onion and garlic. To take them up a notch and push it all over the top I added fresh parsley and inspired by a beef filled filo pastry at a Moroccan restaurant the night before decided to add a handful of chopped cashews. I have to say that was the secret ingredient. Topped with a mixture of plain yogurt, lemon, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper they were little balls of love.

The house was filled with the smell of a middle eastern oasis for the next couple of days and I had so many meatballs it hurt. MMmm!
posted by nicholas at 2:50 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger kent said...

Enta ya habibi.

Rock out that levantine cuisine. You can try raisins as well...sultanas, more specifically.

2:30 AM  
Blogger Deborah Dowd said...

Don't you love that cooking can tak you places your budget can't? Great post and your Middle Eastern fare looks great (no wonder you're excited!)

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home