Tuesday, August 07, 2007
How to: Blanche
Believe it or not Blanche is more than just a first name. Here is a little step-by-step explanation about how to blanche things:
- Buy vegetables
- Boil water
- Put all of a single type of vegetable in the boiling water (you can mix, but some veggies take longer than others)
- Remove promptly (after about a minute, although it depends on the vegetable you are blanching)
- Place veggies under ice cold water for about as long as you had them in the water for.
- You're done. Congratulations.
- Peeling certain vegetables - tomatoes are much easier to peel after blanching
- Flavour - blanching can enhance the flavour of things
- Appearance - as this is as important has how the food tastes, use blanching to improve colour of vegetables
- Freezing - you can blanche things before freezing to ensure that bacteria is killed
(compliments of Wikipedia)