International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Friday, October 05, 2007
Mmmm, fish eyes and cow intestine...
Well, I had my first experiences with Cameroonian food! The first meal I ate here consisted of a roasted fish, cassava and onions, served with a spicy sauce on the side. In Cameroon, you do not waste food, and the locals really clean their plates, by clean I mean they even eat part of the fish's spine. I suppose I got off easily when I was told by the German intern that I had to eat the head, since she had done it a few days earlier. There is really not much meat on the head, other than the gills and the cheek, and of course the eye. I dipped mine in copious amounts of sauce to avoid thoughts of "I'm eating an eye" as I chewed that rubbery organ for an extended period of time. Despite the unappealing eye, the rest of the food was really quite good, the cassava was chewy but not unpleasantly so, and the sauce was spicy, yet flavourful (when used in moderation). The fish itself was very roasted to perfection, with a crispy, spicy skin, that almost reminded me bacon in some places. Washed back with an enormous beer, a very satisfying meal. One to reflect upon while eating cow intestine a few days later, but more on that at a later date... I will upload pictures as soon as I can
posted by Amber at 6:50 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger kent said...

Fish cheek meat is the finest meat.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Jenny H. said...

That's what Chinese believe too.

I hope you try some bush meat in Cameroon, they are good.

2:42 AM  
Blogger Muriel said...

Ian Wright, from the TV series Pilot Guides, ate a sheep's eye on camera while in Uzbekistan. It certainly did not appear to be a pleasant experience and it was probably his most memorable moment on the show.

Good for you for going through with it!!

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home