International Blog of Food

Glorious Cuisine From Around the World

Sunday, March 25, 2007
Quark
Sorry, I missed those comments on my post on german cheesecake oh so long ago. Here is my friend Iris's recipe for quark which actually has a few more differences to making paneer than were mentioned in the comments. Since the post is so old, I thought I'd better make a new post that people would actually see. Sorry I don't have a picture.
  1. Take a litre of milk (any kind), add the juice from one Indian-sized lemon (like half a North American lemon) and one spoonful of yogourt as a starter.
  2. Leave the mixture in a warm place overnight (not too warm though otherwise the milk won't turn into yogourt and you'll just have a weird paneer-tasting thing that just won't do for cheesecake. That's what I got the first time I made it.) If your oven has a setting for 50 degrees Celsius, then that'll work nicely.
  3. Put a cheesecloth in a large bowl and pour the mixture into it. Hang the cheesecloth with the mixture inside for 1-2 hours and let the liquid drip out. If you want a more solid quark (but less of it), then leave it hanging for longer.
  4. After that, it's done. It should taste like plain yogourt (with a touch of lemon) and should have the texture of a soft cream cheese.
posted by Unknown at 7:54 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home